Tuus
Modelbouwmagazine / Modelbrouwers Actie   allekabels.nl  

Modelbouw woordenboek A tot Z   Modelbrouwers.nl winkel Winkel   Tips en trucs Tips en trucs   Facebook Organisatie   Facebook Club   Volg ons Twitter   Modelbrouwers YouTube-kanaal YouTube
Het is nu vr 29 maart, 2024 8:13 am

Alle tijden zijn GMT + 1 uur [ Zomertijd ]

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 74 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Volgende
Auteur Bericht
BerichtGeplaatst: zo 06 dec, 2009 18:09 pm 
Brouwer

Hi guys!

Ever since I've seen pictures from the VF-84 Flaming intake Crusader I was totally sold to its looks. So you can imagine my joy when I saw that Zotz was going to make a 1/32nd decal sheet for this bird.

I've got myself the big Trumpeter F-8E kit and because its a 1/32nd kit you just have to pay attention to details so I've bought most of the available AM kits for it.

This includes :

• The Aires F-8E cockpit which I'll have to change a little to make it a F-8C pit
  • The Aires F-8 exhaust, to kit exhaust is really crying for a replacement...
  • The Aires Wheelbays, really well exposed with the F-8
  • And last but not least, the Fisher F-8C conversion. Pritty obvious if you're doing an F-8C :)

Afbeelding

For the moment I've only done some major cutting to the fuselage and began to work on the wheelbays.

First thing I've done was a quick fit of the new nose which really is a beautifull piece of craftmenship. I must say its the biggest piece of resin I've ever had my hands on. Surface detail is really nice, sharp and you get a really seamless intake all in one piece.

The difference
Afbeelding

Away goes the old nose, the instructions from Fisher really give you good references of were to cut.
Afbeelding

Sanding to make a nice fit
Afbeelding

And voila. It won't fit like a Tamiya kit part but a little bit of putty and that will be ok
Afbeelding

The next big cut was the centerpart of the wing section. As the F-8C didn't had to extra bulge the later Crusaders had this has to be replaced. Again Fisher provides a perfectly molded resin part to solve this. Instruction are again really cleas and after some multiple cut with my hobby knive this job was done.

Afbeelding

After multipe passes of the knive the wings came off pretty easy
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

If you done a clean cut fitting is just perfect
Afbeelding

And both wings done
Afbeelding

So that will be it for my first post.

Today I've finished my wheelbays but these will be for the next post.

Thanks for watching.

Greetz
Rick

Laatst bijgewerkt door Airsmetten op vr 05 maart, 2010 15:47 pm, in totaal 2 keer bewerkt.

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: zo 06 dec, 2009 18:27 pm 
Brouwer

Neat progress, great addition to the forum :wink:

grtz. Launnie

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: zo 06 dec, 2009 18:27 pm 
Brouwer

that is a very nice conversion you gone do.
Nice and sharp casting on that intake part.

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: zo 06 dec, 2009 21:16 pm 
Brouwer

Well done so far. I see some huge differences between the new and the old panels. Will you also adjust the new panels so they look like the old ones. Trumpeter did used a lot of rivets so adjusting is a hell of a job.

The intake is a real beauty

Cetero censeo birrum bibendum esse

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: zo 06 dec, 2009 21:25 pm 
Brouwer

in my best english:

nice kit, im going to watch you

bezig met
-

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: zo 06 dec, 2009 22:09 pm 
Brouwer

Nice beast this is. Those resin parts really add to it, and I am looking forward seeing this beauty dry fitted together! :D I'm following you!

Bezig met 1:48 Hasegawa | P-51D/K Mustang 'Pacific Aces'

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: zo 06 dec, 2009 22:41 pm 
Brouwer

Well done!

In what configuration are you going to build her?

Gr.
Sid

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: zo 06 dec, 2009 23:27 pm 
Brouwer

I've been building this aircraft in 1:72, many years ago. It looked for my 10 year old mind. Making this in 1:32 is mind boggling. I see you take great care and patience with the construction (for once, not starting with the cockpit) I am going to enjoy this one. :D

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: ma 07 dec, 2009 2:51 am 
Brouwer

Impressive. Looking forward to your next update.

Sietse

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel:
BerichtGeplaatst: ma 07 dec, 2009 8:05 am 
Brouwer

Hi guys,

Thanks for the nice comments, it the first time I've put something on this forum and it really nice to get some reaction and tips. :)
I'm planning to build it with in the dirty condition with the wing up & folded armed with 2 AIM-9D's. First I wanted the 4 Sidewinder configuration cause that something very typical for the F-8 but when I saw the Y-racks Trumpeter provided my stomach turned around :oops: . They are just terribly wrong so I'll use the single racks from an older A-7 project.
Normally I'm nog going to rework the panel detail, I've read a few reviews and most of them say that Trumpeter has done an acceptable job on the rivets for once. I know other kits are sometimes horrible on the rivets... :oops:

So here I'm back with a second part of my build.
First I had to finish up the adjustment of the wing area. This involved the removal of the front end of the aft wing bulge which is molded to the fuselage.
The blue tape is there just to protect the surface detail during the cutting.

Afbeelding

This removal went fine but as you see it creates a small hole. Again no problem as Fisher provides you with a piece of resin that fits the hole perfectly making it a lot easier to work the hole away. For now it just stays this way untill the fuselage is joined. But I'm still far from that.

Afbeelding

Next thing I've done was to dress up the area between the fuselage and wing as the kit part is just way to empty.
As I'm planning to finish my Crusader with the wings in the up position you'll be able to peek inside that area so I decided to add some extra detail & plumbing.
I must admit it's not 100% as on the real aircraft but it's way better than the kit part. And in the end it will be just visible through a 5mm gap.

Added some extra wiring, plumbing, rivets and the fuel filter.

Afbeelding

Basic colors painted

Afbeelding

And finished it up with a wash to give it that weathered look. Kitchen foil was used for the thermal protection.

Afbeelding

Once that was done I could begin working on the wheelbay set from Aires. The biggest concern I had was that it wouldn't fit well with the Fisher nose section.
The aft wheel wells are no problem at all cause the nose doen't go back that far in the fuselage. The front well has some more issues. But luckely they are again solved pritty easely. On the underside of the resin nose Fisher has molded the inside of the front wheel well and its at the same position as of you were building the kit OOB. So you can just use the Aires instructions onto the Fisher part, which tell you to remove the molded detail on the intake.

Afbeelding

Thats gone!

Afbeelding

Once the details are remove the Aires well fits like a glove. 8)

Afbeelding

Thats it for now, next up will be the wheelbays.

Greetz
Rick

Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 74 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Volgende

Alle tijden zijn GMT + 1 uur [ Zomertijd ]